Tuesday 24 November 2015

REVIEW - Whitworths Dried Figs

So, here I am, kicking off my adventure into the world of blogging with a review of... a packet of dried figs. 'Whitworths Soft Smyrna Figs' to be precise, but figs nonetheless. Maybe dried fruit isn't the epitome of snacking for most but if you're anything like me (aka a dried fruit fiend), then these may well be right up your street.

I haven't always had an easy relationship with dried fruit - I think the only dried fruits I touched throughout childhood were the small packets of raisins that my mum always managed to sneak into my lunch-box when I was in primary school. That, and I probably encountered some when I was eating a hot cross bun or a toasted teacake. It was only a few years ago that I became aware of what I was missing out on and since then I have done my best to make up for lost time! Dried figs have always been on my 'to try' list but until now they've never managed to make it into my basket.
Fig-tastic

I picked these figs up in my local Tesco for £1.50 (although they were on promotion and are usually £1.75). The packet is 175g which gives you about 8 figs. I'm not sure if they're a new product or if the packaging has simply been changed, as it looks pretty new. I did notice the new range of 'Whitworths Fusions' (bagged mixtures of dried fruits and nuts) alongside the traditional dried fruit and picked up the Cinnamon Apple Jumble to try at another point.

Anyway, back to the figs - firstly I thought the packaging was pretty attractive and a definite plus is the fact that it's resealable. Not only does it help you keep the figs nice and fresh but also stops you from eating the pack in one sitting (not that I would do that... obviously). I wasn't sure what to expect taste-wise with these but I was actually pleasantly surprised - they're lovely and soft and not too sweet, which I find can be an issue with a lot of dried fruit. The fig taste isn't unpleasantly overpowering and I like that the crunch you get in a fresh fig (from the seeds) is retained in these dried ones. My very minor gripe is that the fig stalk is a bit too chewy and not easygoing on your teeth! I'll be making sure to remove the rest of the stalks to save myself from jaw ache. It would also be nice to have more than 8 figs in a packet but I suppose the answer to that would be to buy a bigger bag!

Dried fruit cravings sufficiently satisfied, I'm going to give these an 8 out of 10 (and maybe stock up whilst they're still on offer).

No comments:

Post a Comment