Monday 21 March 2016

REVIEW - Double Peanut Butter Magnum

Magnum have released 3 new flavours to their range fairly recently - Double Caramel, Double Chocolate and Double Peanut Butter. I probably would have overlooked these (being more of a fan of tub ice cream rather than stick, as nice as Magnums are!) had I not been such a huge fan of peanut butter. It took me two Tesco trips to get hold of them, as they were out of stock the first time - I can't decide if they were really popular or if the store just didn't order very many in. Either way, I managed to snap up a box on round two.

It was £2 for a box of 3, which I presume is an introductory offer and will probably jump up in a few weeks. Grab them while you can!

Ok, so the first and only thing I could think about when I opened the packet was the size... Admittedly I haven't had a proper Magnum for many years, but I was sure that they weren't always that small! After a quick Google search I discovered that I wasn't just imagining things - apparently Unilever have reduced the size of a lot of their ice cream brands to "cut calories". Hmm - I was not impressed. Suddenly £2 didn't seem like such a good offer after all!

But where's the rest of it?...
Still, what the ice cream lacked in size was made up for in taste. It's basically a peanut butter ice cream, covered in a thin chocolate coating, covered in peanut butter sauce, and all then coated with more chocolate. The outer shell was lovely - nothing new, just the classic chocolatey Magnum shell that has a lovely snap when you bite into it. The sauce underneath was very nice, although it was definitely more like a smooth sauce, rather than actual peanut butter. I would have maybe liked a bit more of a peanut butter taste (I do just really love it), but for people who maybe prefer a slightly milder peanut flavour then this would be perfect!

The thin chocolate shell underneath that was good - not exciting taste-wise, but added another dimension which was nice. The ice cream itself was beautifully smooth and creamy, with a definite hint of peanut butter taste coming through. Again, picky as I am, I would have liked a stronger peanut butter flavour.

Overall, these were really nice and I think they're a great addition to the current Magnum range. I don't feel that there's really enough peanut butter flavour for these to be called "Double Peanut Butter", but as I said, for people who like but don't *love* the taste then I think they'll be fine. 
7 out of 10 for these on flavour and originality! BUT, that's with me not factoring in the size - in which case they drop down a fair bit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment