Monday 7 March 2016

REVIEW - Gu Maple and Pecan Pies

With Gu puddings still half price in Tesco, it was inevitable that they were probably going to end up in my basket again, despite buying the Zillionares' puds barely a week before. Still, in my defence I had actually been planning to pick up the new peanut butter Magnums, but my store was out of stock (!) so I needed to console myself with something else.

Again, I hovered indecisively over the Gu selection but ended up choosing the 'Maple and Pecan Pies', described delightfully by Gu as: "crumbly pecan biscuit base, topped with a creamy maple syrup-infused cheesecake". This did lead to me wondering why they are described as "pies" and not "cheesecakes", but then I decided that I wasn't really that fussed and would much rather just get stuck in with my spoon.
Gu for two (or one)


Like all Gu products, the pie/cheesecakes (piecakes?) looked very pretty and appealing in their ramekins, with a sprinkling of biscuit crumb on the top for a final flourish.

The cheesecake topping was really nice - very smooth and creamy and with a good underlying flavour of maple syrup. Not being very familiar with maple syrup, it did take me a couple of mouthfuls to decide if I liked it or not but thankfully Gu haven't made the cheesecake *too* sweet or overpowering, so it suited me just fine! 

The biscuit base was significantly better than the base of the Zillionaires' puds, which I found to be too dry and crumbly for my liking. This base was much nicer - it actually held together like a proper biscuit base should, for one thing. It tasted just fine, but I did think the addition of the crushed pecans in the base was a bit unnecessary. Given the name, I was expecting the pecans to be more of a star in this pudding, so it was a bit disappointing to find that they've just been crushed up and hidden among biscuits. Nevertheless, you could taste that they were there which is better than nothing.

Overall, another really nice pudding from Gu - less rich and decadent than the Zillionaires' puds and perfect if you want something a little less sweet. I would have liked to have seen the pecans being used a bit more (maybe as a topping?) but that's just a minor niggle. It's another 7 out of 10 from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment