Sunday 24 April 2016

REVIEW - Galaxy Duet Toffee and Popcorn

My friend Laura is wonderful, for many reasons. One of those reasons is that she quite often surprises me with spontaneous little gifts, the most recent of which was a bar of Galaxy's Toffee and Popcorn Duet. I've never actually tried any of the Duet bars before, despite always being intrigued by them, so I was pretty excited to give this one a go (and was also incredibly grateful to have been gifted chocolate at a time of immense stress i.e. dissertation hand-in).

The bar is described as "milk chocolate with a toffee flavoured caramel filling, popcorn pieces and toffee pieces". Me being me, I got distracted whilst eating it (I'm incredibly absent-minded) and failed to notice if the bar was split equally with caramel down one half and popcorn down the other. I would presume so... but a repeat purchase might be necessary to make sure...
First off, the chocolate itself was lovely - no different to normal Galaxy, but that's not a bad thing! It was smooth and melt-in-the-mouth, just as you would expect. I enjoyed the caramel segments - again, no different really to normal Galaxy caramel that you can buy, but delicious all the same. The caramel was nice and smooth and not too overly sweet. However in my opinion there wasn't much toffee flavour to it; as far as I could tell it just tasted like normal caramel!

The popcorn and toffee segments were a bit more hit and miss. In a couple of pieces I definitely got a slight taste of popcorn and a bit of crunch, however overall it was pretty much undetectable. Admittedly the popcorn is only listed as 0.8% in the ingredients, and the toffee pieces 0.5%, so it's hardly surprising - but you do think that a bar specifically marketed as TOFFEE AND POPCORN would contain a little bit more of them...

Still, I thought it was a nice bar and I'd probably buy it again in the future. It definitely needs a bit more popcorn flavour in my opinion, but at least the texture differences are there and the bar is overall good quality. I'd also quite like to try the Caramel & Shortcake and Cookies & Cream varieties, so I'm going to keep my eye out!
It's a 7 out of 10 for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment