Saturday 21 May 2016

REVIEW - Yeo Valley Banana and Custard Yogurt

Being the banana fan that I am, I couldn't pass up on the opportunity to try Yeo Valley's Limited Edition 'Banana & Custard Yogurt' when I saw it on the shelves. Yeo Valley are one of my favourite yogurt brands (their products are so thick and creamy and they have such a good range of flavours) and I always stock up my fridge when they're on a 2 for £2 offer.
The fact that I'm from the West Country myself may also have a bit of an influence...
Yeo Valley haven't used any artificial flavours or colours in this yogurt, so the banana flavour comes from organic banana puree (5%). This was a big hit with me because, unlike a lot of banana-flavoured products - the taste wasn't artificial and actually tasted fairly similar to banana! (Obviously, a fairly desirable goal...) Even though it's only added at 5%, the banana flavour comes through quite strongly; but I personally would have liked a bit of a stronger flavour.

There's actually no custard in the yogurt - I presume it's supposed to come from the double cream and the sugar that are also in the ingredients list. Although this does make the yogurt lovely and creamily indulgent, it doesn't really live up to the 'custard' promise given in the name which was a bit of a let-d0wn.

Texture-wise, the yogurt was smoother than some of the other Yeo Valley flavours which I presume again is because of the cream content. This isn't a negative feature in any way, but I'm just a fan of thicker varieties so it wasn't to my personal preference! In all honesty though, that's just me being picky.

Overall I thought this was a lovely banana-flavoured yogurt but I'm not sure it really deserves the 'custard' addition in its name. It doesn't taste anything like custard! Still, the banana flavour was definitely a hit because it wasn't artificial, and the yogirt was overall high quality and really delicious - so I give it an 8 out of 10 (would have been a 7, but I'm giving a bonus point for Yeo Valley appreciating that there aren't nearly enough banana-flavoured dairy items available!)

1 comment:

  1. Banana yoghurts are hard to find.This is probably the very best one I have tasted.It is absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete