Tuesday 31 May 2016

REVIEW - Kettle Bites Lentil Curls

Exam season is back in full swing (so soon? I swear it feels like I only just finished the last ones...) which for me means daily trips to the library, loaded down with revision notes, neon-bright highlighters and a small pile of snacks to keep me motivated! I can't decide if I need more food during revision because my brain is working so hard or if it's just because I get very bored. I'd like to think it's the former, but I'm not so sure...

I spied a new range of snacks - 'Kettle Bites' - on my latest snack run to Tesco and ended up buying these 'Mozzarella and Pesto Lentil Curls' to try out. I've had lentil curls before and quite enjoyed them, so these held promise (not to mention mozzarella and pesto are big flavour favourites). Also in the range are 'Maple Barbecue' and 'Coconut, Chilli and Lime' wholegrain waves - essentially in the same style to the Sunbites products. I'm not sure if I'll be giving those a go; they seem a little adventurous for my tastebuds!

A few more would have been nice...
The product was on offer at £1 for 5 packs, each weighing in at 22g. The normal price is £1.89, which perhaps seems a little steep when you assess how much each packet gives you! It wasn't more than a handful, which wasn't much appreciated by a hungry student needing a lunchtime pick-me-up.

Still, ignoring that minor complaint... The crisps/curls themselves were really nice in flavour and texture - although, wow, were they crunchy! I presume that's because they've been baked rather than fried. If you like crunchy snacks then these are great; if you're suffering from wisdom tooth pain then perhaps steer clear... (speaking from my unfortunate first-hand experience).

Because they're baked, they're much less greasy than normal crisps which I quite liked. There was a good covering of seasoning as well, which had a nice pesto-y taste and definitely a hint of cheese. I maybe wouldn't be able to identify it as mozzarella if I didn't know that's what it was, but that's not really an issue.

Overall, these were a nice enough snack and make a good addition to the normal range of crisps currently available. The serving size is a bit paltry, but I suppose the bag is supposed to be less than 100 calories so it makes sense. Taste and flavour-wise, they're fine! Just beware that they are super crunchy and you will perhaps get a few sidelong glances if you choose to eat them in the silent section of the library.
8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment