Monday 2 May 2016

REVIEW - Gu Alphonso Mango and Passion Fruit Cheesecakes

I've made the happy discovery that the shop on my university campus - I place I pretty much only use for emergency milk purchases - sells Gu puddings for the very reasonable price (compared to the supermarkets) of £2. Unfortunately, this does also now mean that I can't seem to pick up a pint of semi-skimmed without also grabbing myself a packet of puddings. Still, deadlines are fast approaching so I can be excused - I'm a stress eater.

Sandwiched within the Gu selection were these Alphonso Mango and Passion Fruit Cheesecakes - they're not a new product (according to Google) but I've never seen them before so naturally they took my eye. They're made up of of a biscuit base, a layer of passion fruit and mango curd, and a topping of passion fruit cheesecake. Mmm! 

(I'm not actually the greatest fan of either mango or passion fruit, but I like Gu and I love cheesecake so I didn't let that put me off)

The cheesecake topping was, as ever, smooth and creamy - perfect in texture. The flavour was lovely as well; it wasn't too strong or too sweet but just right. In all honesty I don't eat passion fruit flavoured things very often so I can't say how 'true' the flavour was, but I certainly enjoyed it either way.

I don't know if I just got a bad batch, but the curd in my cheesecakes was practically non-existent! As delicious as the cheesecake filling itself was, I think a thicker layer of curd was needed to provide a better texture contrast and make the pudding a bit more exciting. I also think it could have perhaps been a bit smoother and more sauce-like in texture. The little bit of curd that I *did* manage to unearth was very tasty though and had a nice fruity flavour that worked well with the cheesecake.


All in all it was a nice enough pudding and, unlike many of the others available, wasn't too heavy or rich! A bit more of the mango and passion fruit curd would be good, but I'm not sure if mine were just a bit dodgy. No doubt when I run out of milk I'll be picking up another box to make sure!
Still, I can't fault the flavour, so I'm giving them a 7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment