Wednesday 9 December 2015

REVIEW - Ben and Jerry's Pumpkin Cheesecake

Yes, I am aware that this is a review of an ice cream that is more suited to being eaten in October rather than December; but, I loved it so much that I felt it deserved a spot on the blog. Ben and Jerry's Pumpkin Cheesecake - you have my heart.
Hands down, Ben and Jerry's is my favourite brand of ice cream. However this may be partly because it's the only one I ever actually eat and therefore I don't know how the competition shapes up! A sad but true fact about me is that I'm on a personal quest to sample all of the UK flavours of Ben and Jerry's ice cream - it sounds simple, but considering the price and the fact that new flavours pop up frequently, my quest is taking a very long time.

I picked this ice cream up back in October and I have to say that I'm really glad I did - looking online it doesn't seem to be currently listed for sale at any of the major supermarkets. Considering the festive snowflake packaging, I presumed that this flavour was going to be available all winter. Apparently not!
Essentially it's vegetable ice cream

Having never had either pumpkin cheesecake or pumpkin pie, I had no idea what to expect with this ice cream. The description sounded good but didn't give much away ("pumpkin cheesecake ice cream with a cookie swirl") so there was nothing to do but just get stuck straight in.

Unlike most Ben and Jerry's, which generally require a extended period of thawing time, I found this ice cream scooped fairly well and without too much effort on my part. It was a pale creamy colour (thankfully not a garish pumpkin orange) and you could see the cookie swirl running through the centre.
Taste-wise, all I can say for this is WOW. It was delicious! In all honesty I have no idea if it truly provided the flavour of pumpkin (it's not a flavour I'm acquainted with) but it was great either way. There was a very subtle hint of spice provided by cinnamon, cloves and ginger which I thought was a lovely addition. The ice cream itself was beautifully creamy and the cookie swirl added a nice contrast and a good variation of texture.

Yep, this was a winner for me - 9 out of 10! I'm just really disappointed that it only seemed to be in stores for such a short period of time - I know that there are other festive flavours out there but I think this would have been a great addition to the range.
Who knows, maybe it was listed as 'Limited Edition' and I missed that in my excitement to get hold of it. If so, fingers crossed it gets brought back next year so I can go and buy multiple tubs at once to see me through the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment