Monday 14 December 2015

REVIEW - M&S Turkey and Pigs in Blankets Sandwich

I'm not the most frequent buyer of sandwiches, but I can't seem to get through December without trying at least one festive sandwich - from the numerous selection available! It seems that every store brings out about 4 or 5 different sandwiches for the festive season, with fillings ranging from turkey to brie to ham to vegetarian. Tesco have even gone a step further this year and have added a sweet sandwich to their range (chocolate and cherry filling, with a cinnamon bread), which I haven't been able to get hold of yet but have a burning desire to try.

In my opinion you generally can't go wrong with an M&S sandwich so, needing a quick lunch during a day-trip to London, I picked up their festive Turkey and Pigs in Blankets sandwich to try out. Normally priced at £3.30, I was lucky and got hold of a reduced one for £2.65 (which I still feel is possibly too extortionate for a sarnie). Nevertheless it sounded tasty: "British pork sausages and smoked British bacon, butter basted roast British turkey breast, cranberry chutney, spiced mayonnaise and spinach on sage and onion bread."
The obligatory Christmas sandwich
The first thing I will say about my sandwich was that it had a decent amount of filling, which made me pretty happy. However I did notice that several others on the shelf weren't nearly as packed with filling, so I would recommend choosing your sandwich carefully!

As promised by the packaging, the bread was lovely and soft however I didn't get much taste of sage and onion. I think a flavoured bread is slightly wasted in a sandwich like this, when the real star is clearly the sandwich filling. The addition of sage and onion didn't really add much taste-wise to the sandwich, although it is suitably festive.
The sausages in the sandwich were great - cooked perfectly and cut into slim enough slices that you could enjoy them whilst not looking wholly inelegant whilst eating your lunch. The addition of bacon was a nice addition too and again was cooked in such a way that the texture was perfect for a sandwich. But regarding the turkey - where was it?! I don't know whether there was barely any in my sandwich or if I was just so focused on the sausages that I missed it - either way it didn't make its presence known! 
I want to love the idea of this sandwich, but I think that perhaps including turkey, bacon and sausage all in one sandwich is perhaps a bit too much, as it's difficult to get them all equally noticeable.

The cranberry chutney was lovely and added a nice hint of sweetness, however I can't say I detected any flavour of the 'spiced mayonnaise' coming through - perhaps another ingredient that doesn't do anything taste-wise in this sandwich.

Overall I'll give this sandwich 6 out of 10 - I wish I could give it more because it's a great idea, but sadly I just don't think it quite works. Perhaps with a few tweaks to the recipe, it could be a winner next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment