Thursday 24 December 2015

REVIEW - Mr Kipling Gingerbread Whirls

Over the past month I've been searching fruitlessly for these Mr Kipling Gingerbread Whirls; I saw them very briefly in Tesco one time but on my next visit I discovered that they'd been replaced by shelves and shelves of mince pies. Even my mum couldn't find them online when she was ordering our delivery of Christmas food and so I'd resigned myself to having to wait another year before getting my hands on any. 
Thankfully, a visit to Morrisons by my mum the other day proved more successful than any trip to Tesco or Sainsbury's and (because she knew how grumpy I'd been about not being able to find some) she picked up a packet for me as an early Christmas present.

In all honestly, I like Viennese whirls but I don't LOVE them - however I've been so keen to try these out because I love anything gingerbread-related (be it food, drink, body wash or scented candles). I'll happily eat gingerbread all year round but I think that it tastes especially good at Christmas.
It's beginning to look a LOT like Christmas
Like normal Viennese whirls, you get 6 in a pack and they're generally priced at £1. As shown in the picture, my icing sugar distribution was a little bit uneven - not sure what happened to these on the production line! - but I was more interested in the taste rather than the aesthetics so it didn't bother me too much.

Icing sugar issues
I can't say that these had a particularly strong gingerbread scent to them - but the taste was unmistakeable! I'd been a bit apprehensive and thought that they might be a bit bland, however Mr Kipling has definitely been generous with the ginger in his recipe. The whirls had a lovely strong spicy flavour and a good after-taste as well. The buttercream inside was nice and smooth and worked well with the spiciness of the ginger.

Texture-wise, I thought these would be soft like the regular Viennese whirls; however they were actually quite crunchy and crumbly - almost biscuit-like in texture. It wasn't an unpleasant texture at all but I think they would have been slightly nicer if they'd been a bit softer.

Overall, I'll give these an 8 out of 10 - the flavour was nice and strong and overall they tasted really nice. The texture was a bit different to what I was expecting, but I suppose it just makes them more like gingerbread biscuits!

No comments:

Post a Comment