Sunday 13 December 2015

REVIEW - Glorious! Mexican Tomato and Fire Roasted Pepper Soup

I love a nice bowl of soup in the winter. Sure, soup is lovely all year round but there's something so comforting about coming in from the cold and warming up with a big bowl of steaming hot soup. I normally have a few tins of soup on standby in my cupboard but if I feel like having something a bit more special then I generally pick up a tub of the fresh variety.

Glorious! soup was on offer in Tesco (I promise, I do occasionally shop in other stores!) so I picked up this 600g tub for £1.10. Having never tried this brand before, I was torn over which variety to choose but I eventually settled on the Mexican Tomato and Fire Roasted Pepper flavour ("A crushed tomato and fire roasted pepper soup with nachos and fresh lime juice"). The packaging proudly proclaims that it's Limited Edition and I'll confess that that's something that always sways me to buy a product...
A Glorious lunch
The colour of the soup looked promising - a nice deep red - and I could clearly see a generous amount of herbs throughout as well. I heated it up until it was piping hot and then got stuck in.

To be honest, on my first few mouthfuls I wasn't sure how I felt about the flavour - did I love it or hate it?! I'm not really sure why I was a bit unsure about it - possibly my tastebuds were taking some time to adjust to the range of spices and flavours. However I persevered and actually found myself beginning to quite enjoy it eventually. It had a wonderful depth of flavour - you really get a great taste of tomato and pepper coming through - and the combination of spices used (including turmeric, lovage, mace and nutmeg) work really well. The texture is lovely and smooth, which I didn't mind at all even though I'm normally more of a chunky soup fan.

My only minor niggle is that I didn't really get any taste of lime juice coming through - it's listed quite far down the ingredients list so it's likely that only very small amount is included anyway. I also didn't really understand the nachos - even though tortilla chips are supposedly present, you wouldn't know that unless you read the packaging! Both of these ingredients strike me as things that have been added to make the soup stand out and seem more interesting, but don't actually add anything in terms of taste.

Overall I'll give this soup a 6 out of 10 - it's certainly very nice and a lot fancier than a standard tomato soup, but I wasn't blown away by it and think it could do with a bit more oomph.

No comments:

Post a Comment