Friday 11 December 2015

REVIEW - Cadbury Festive Friends

Was my childhood deprived? It seems that Festive Friends feature in almost everyone's childhood Christmas memories - but not mine. Whilst I have fond memories of Cadbury's selection boxes, chocolate fingers and After Eights, Festive Friends were not something that seemed to be a part of our family Christmases. I only became acquainted with them a couple of years ago, no doubt picking up a box just to find out what exactly my childhood had been missing. 

Not remembering much about them, I picked up a box in Sainsbury's the other night when I was aimlessly browsing along the Christmas aisle. My box was £1 which is pretty much the same in any supermarket you go to. Cadbury don't give these biscuits a particularly exciting description ("biscuits half covered in milk chocolate") but the packaging is cute and suitably festive so we can overlook that.
A key feature of all childhoods... except mine


In all fairness, once you open the box you realise that Cadbury have actually been pretty accurate with their description - there's not really much more that can be said about these! They are indeed little bite-sized biscuits with a back coating of milk chocolate. They come in a range of festive characters  - no doubt to appeal to their proper target market of young children - and whilst the characters aren't particularly detailed, they are clear enough to be distinguishable.
I was pleasantly surprised by the size of these biscuits as they were larger than I thought they would be (I was thinking more along the size of the Cadbury Animal Biscuits).

Taste-wise, they're not particularly exciting. The biscuits themselves taste fine but there's no real flavour to them and the chocolate coating isn't the best quality. However they are quite more-ish and I did find myself just aimlessly munching my way through them absent-mindedly. I suppose the good thing about them is that they're nice enough to satisfy the children in the family, meaning that the slightly nicer and fancier Christmas treats can be enjoyed by the adults!
Overall I'm giving the Festive Friends a 6 out of 10, because although they are nice enough I think they lack wow-factor and are a little bit bland. Maybe I'd look more favourably upon them if they'd been a key feature of my childhood... 

No comments:

Post a Comment